ICCM Best Paper Award
The ICCM is delighted to announce the first ICCM best paper award sponsored by TCL. 10 gold medals and 10 silver medals will be awarded at the ICCM annual meeting, December, 2017. A paper is eligible for the consideration of the 2017 best paper award if the following criteria are met:
1) The paper has to be posted onto MathSciDoc. The website is at http://archive.ymsc.tsinghua.edu.cn
2) One of the principal authors is a Chinese decsendant.
3) The paper was published in a respectable journal in the last five years.
● The rules of ICCM Best Paper Award
1) Each year in the annual meeting of ICCM, 10 gold awards and 10 silver awards will be given to papers which are authored by Chinese descendants. The committee will also recommend papers published in the last five years of the time when the committee choose them . They are called distinguished papers .
2) The selection process consists of two rounds. In the first round, there will be 20 subject committees, and in the second round there will be a global committee. The committee members will be appointed by the ICCM scientific committee.
3) Each proposed paper should be authored by at least one Chinese descendent.
4) Only papers that are posted on MathSciDoc will be considered. A proposed paper should be published in a respectable journal in the last five years.
5) In December, gold and silver award candidates will be invited to speak at the annual meeting of ICCM. These two kinds of prizes will only be awarded to candidates who attend the annual meeting. Distinguished paper awardees are welcomed to attend the annual meeting.
6) The award ceremony will take place in the morning of the first day of the annual meeting.
The Morningside Medal of Mathematics, established in 1998, recognizes the outstanding mathematicians of Chinese descendent under the age of 45 for their achievements in the research of pure and applied mathematics. Up to six medals, two gold medals and four silver medals are awarded every three years at the International Congress of Chinese Mathematicians. The candidates were nominated worldwide, then refereed by experts in the relevant field, discussed and voted finally by the Morningside Medals of Mathematics Selection committee chaired by S.T.Yau. A nomination committee for the Morningside Medal of Mathematics, comprising a maximum of fifty Chinese mathematicians worldwide, nominates individuals based on their research, qualifications, and vita. Subsequently, the nomination committee submits the names of the nominated individuals, along with supporting materials, to the selection committee. After a thorough multi-step review, the selection committee, comprising leading mathematicians with different research interest, makes a final decision. All the members of the selection committee, with the exception of the committee chair, are non-Chinese, thereby ensuring the independence and in-tegrity of their decision.
The Chern Prize in mathematics was established in 2001 in honor of Professor Shing-Shen Chern, one of the greatest geometers and Chinese mathematicians of the twentieth century. The Chern Prize is presented every three years to mathematicians of Chinese descent who have made exceptional contributions to mathematical research or to public service activities in support of mathematics.
Mathematics and mathematics education are of great significance in human pursuit of knowledge and truth. They are the foundation of science and technology. In 2007, Dr Henry Cheng, Managing Director of New World Development Company Limited and Professor Yau Shing-Tung, an outstanding mathematician, co-initiated the “New World Mathematics Awards" (NWMA). The goal of this program is to encourage outstanding Chinese mathematics students worldwide in their pursuit of mathematical truth.
The Dongrun-Yau Science Award (formerly known as S. T. Yau High School Sciences Awards) is cofounded by Prof. Shing-Tung Yau, a great world-renowned Chinese mathematician and Mr. Chen Dongsheng, Chairman of Taikang Life Insurance Co., Ltd. Since 2015, the Dongrun-Yau Science Award is organized by Prof. Shing-Tung Yau and Dongrun Foundation, and officially changed its name to Dongrun-Yau Science Award.
Designed for Chinese high school students all over the world, the Awards encourage the students to engage themselves in contests by submitting research reports instead of trying to giving "standard answers" in written exams.
This action is intended for promoting science education in high schools, motivating Chinese high school students around the globe in scientific research and enhancing their innovative capabilities so as to help them better meet the challenges in the future society. Attention from famous educational institutions including Harvard University, Stanford University and Tsinghua University as well as great mathematicians will create a brand-new stage and opportunities for global high school students.
The ICCM International Cooperation Award is presented to an individual who has promoted the development of mathematics in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan through collaboration, teaching, and support of Chinese mathematicians. The Selection Committee consists renounced mathematicians.
Based on Prof. Shing-Tung Yau’s suggestions it is proposed to organize college student mathematics contests. By competing with their peers it would help to enhance undergraduates in their basic college training in mathematics. The examination shall cover wide range of subjects. With deep and interesting questions this would motivate students to learn. And there shall be an outstanding panel to oversee it.
Young talents in China are abundant. The aim of the competition is to help many students in China to acquire basic trainings in modern mathematics. It is a basic step to build up a solid foundation in the developments of mathematics in China. We believe this will bring college mathematics education in China to a higher level and it would help to transform a country of vast population into a country of vast human resources. The test results shall be important references to admitting graduate students both in and outside of China.